Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Reflector-specific Space


"A compact cosmos creates a kaleidoscopic pattern of ghost astronomical images"-Janna Levin in " How the Universe Got its Spots" (pic courtesy meritnation.com)


The author of the book, “How Universe got its Spots”, Janna Levin comes up with an amusing theory of “finite universe”....In her own words,
“So what did she (Mother nature) choose for the global shape of space? Which is it, and why that shape? I can argue on aesthetic grounds that the universe should be finite.............If nature had made space as small as a room, we’d always have known the world was finite. If I stand in the middle of the compact universe with a light bulb that never burns out and space is as small as a room, the light from bulb would transit around the space.
Some of that light will make it back to me after winding once round the space. Some of
that light will nearly take forever before it just happens to scratch past me again. If I wait
long enough, I”ll see a copy of myself in all directions,so that space is filled and bright with
ghost images of me and my light bulb at different ages, a haunting kaleidoscope of images.I could watch myself growing up and growing old. There’d be no need of my photo
albums,I could watch your life before me beyond images of my own.”
pic courtesy assisted-living-phoenix.carebuzz.com
view of a compact flat universe
Mirrors in the Sky
Janna Levin’s says that the universe is wonderland in 3D.


I thought that before we dwell more into the theory of parallel universes, this take of Janna
Levin on finite and flat universe should be shared. Without using the term ‘parallel universe’, author explains that the device behind parallel universes....see you soon!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment